Substitute for Boxwood

ColdCountry's picture

Any good suggestions for a substitute hedge plant that would be similar in size and shape to Boxwood?  I live in Cody, Wy,  a zone 4 climate that is also windy.  The site would be loamy w/ good moisture available. Thanks!

Catskill Deb's picture

(post #10077, reply #1 of 4)

There are boxwoods that some sources rate as hardy to zone 4, such as Winter Gem, Wintergreen, Pride of Rochester and Korean boxwoods.  You'd need to give them a little shelter from the wind though, with burlap or something similar.  The Japanese holly is recommended as a close substitute for boxwood, but it's even less hardy, only to zone 6.

Monrovia offers a Japanese barberry called Kobold that's supposed to be hardy to zone 4, and it looks a lot like boxwood.   However it's deciduous.  I don't have any experience with it, but it looks lovely in the picture.

KOBOLD JAPANESE BARBERRY

ColdCountry's picture

(post #10077, reply #2 of 4)

Thanks for the info!  Shannon

Catskill Deb's picture

(post #10077, reply #3 of 4)

No problem.  Us zone 4-ers have to stick together.  :-)   Let me know your opinion of it if you try the barberry.

ColdCountry's picture

(post #10077, reply #4 of 4)

I will! Thanks again! Zone 4 does present challenges but we do have quite a variety of beauty to chose from.   Shannon