dwarf fig tree

petsaverannette123's picture

Hi  new here...Can anyone give info on a dwarf fig tree ,its outside in a container right now will bring inside for winter i have about 5 small figs on it now  there very small when can you pick and eat them,also how to take care of it when i bring it in????thanks   petsaverannette@insightbb.com

hortist's picture

(post #10937, reply #1 of 1)

Do you happen to know what variety of dwarf fig you have?  That would help in determining exactly how you should grow it, as well as when its fruit will ripen.  In general, you should be able to bring it in this fall and overwinter it as a "houseplant" in the brightest, sunniest spot you have in the house.  Watch for whitefly and scale, as they are both known to be pests on figs, especially indoors.  Alternatively, depending on where you live and how cold it gets, you could let it go dormant outdoors and then keep it in the garage or other storage building as long as the temps didn't get bitterly cold.  Then put it back out in spring to grow and fruit in the summer.

As for the ripening of the fruit, again it depends on the variety.  Generally speaking, though, the fruit will normally go through some kind of color change and will also soften, indicating that it is ripe.  The color change could be from green to brown, green to black, green to red, green to lighter green/yellowish--it just depends on the variety.  Also, immature figs are generally hard and will become softer (sort of like an avocado) when ripe.

That may not be extremely helpful, but at least it's a direction to head in.  I assume you're keeping it in a pot either because you live where it's too cold for it to live outdoors or because you don't have the space to plant it in the ground.  Keep in mind that "dwarf" is relative, so it could still take up considerable space after a year or two.  Most of what I've looked up about "dwarf" figs indicates that they can still reach 6 feet tall or so (standard ones will grow anywhere from 12-18 feet).

Troy

www.troybmarden.com

"The great wonder, in gardening, is that so many plants live!" Christopher Lloyd

Troy

www.troybmarden.com

"The great wonder, in gardening, is that so many plants live!" Christopher Lloyd