Wooden wheel barrow handles need cover

4CJ's picture

My wheel barrow, has the green foam handle covers missing, and yesterday when I was able to do a bit of yard work (before the snow on friday and today rain comes) done, and got a few splinters on my hand from the wood. Can you think of any good covering I can put on them that will work good?

Eric_Brown's picture

(post #5099, reply #2 of 43)

I'm assuming you mean the wheelbarrow handles, not your hands. Do you need the padding of the foam? If not, how about duct tape?

Jean_'s picture

(post #5099, reply #1 of 43)

Give it an old pair of mittens or heavy socks.

Just_Another_Guy's picture

(post #5099, reply #3 of 43)

Ever watch a good hockey game? When we were kids we wrapped our sticks, blades and butt ends with cloth hockey tape. It stayed on despite slapshots, rain, snow ice etc. Provided good grip and made your stick splinter-proof (This before aluminium hockey sticks). Might want to give it a try.

4CJ's picture

(post #5099, reply #4 of 43)

Thanks for the suggestions, need to try something quick.

4CJ's picture

(post #5099, reply #5 of 43)

Eric, yes, I mean the wheelbarrow handles!

stacy_chandler's picture

(post #5099, reply #6 of 43)

How's about a length of garden hose split in half ?

Jeana_'s picture

(post #5099, reply #7 of 43)

What about (if you're looking for something foamy) duct taping on some pipe insulation pieces. Guys, what're those things called, the foam tubular things that go over pipes to insulate them? You know, the insulating, foaming things for pipes?

Jean_'s picture

(post #5099, reply #8 of 43)

Good idea!

Eric_Brown's picture

(post #5099, reply #9 of 43)

I think it's just called foam pipe insulation. Here's a typical link. This seems like a really good idea.

http://www.insidespaces.com/howtopages/pipe-insulation/pipe-insulation.s...

4CJ's picture

(post #5099, reply #10 of 43)

The foam isulation is a good idea, I know what it is like because I helped my husband put it on the pipes in the house we built before the sheet rock got put up. I wonder if you can get it that wide? Do you think 2" will fit?

Eric_Brown's picture

(post #5099, reply #11 of 43)

I don't quite understand the question, Caroline. Do you mean fit the diameter of your wheelbarrow handles? You should be able to measure that and then locate the appropriate pipe-size insulation at the home center. I suppose if there are any gaps they'd be covered when you wrap it all with duct tape.

(post #5099, reply #12 of 43)

THere is no way to really get the insulation to stick effectively to the handles, without a LOT of taping.I've seen folks try this on carrying yolks on canoes, it usually turns out pretty ugly.

Jeana_'s picture

(post #5099, reply #13 of 43)

Oh, sure, somebody has to go and be practical.

stacy_chandler's picture

(post #5099, reply #14 of 43)

How's about many old clean socks or pantyhose.Many layers should do it :>

Eric_Brown's picture

(post #5099, reply #15 of 43)

I keep thinking that you might be able to stick the foam insulation to the wooden handles with poyurethane glue. It would be waterproof. Seems like you could run 3 or 4 beads of the stuff on the inside surface of the insulation, and wrap the whole thing with something, to hold it in place, while the glue sets up. The only thing I'm not sure of is if the glue would adversely effect the integrity of the insulation itself. Like 'melt' it, or something.

Don't use 'Gorilla Glue', which seems to be the most heavily advertised kind. It's too expensive. Elmer's has come out with a polyurethane glue that costs a lot less.

(post #5099, reply #16 of 43)

Rubber Cement Maybe Eric? You could do a test run on something other than the wheel barrow. Then you'd know if it would melt the Insulation. Besides, if you coated botht hte handles and the Inside of the insulation with it then stuck em together once it was nearly dry, you'd probably get a great bond.

Eric_Brown's picture

(post #5099, reply #17 of 43)

That's a good idea, Jag. It'd probably be easier to accomplish than using regular contact cement, too. The uniform application of the adhesive, in this approach, seems like it would lessen any bond failure due to shearing stresses.

Karen_W.'s picture

(post #5099, reply #18 of 43)

Sounds complicated. I think I would just cover my hands (gloves, cotton with latex covered palms are my preference) and not the wheelbarrow handles.

ruth_lively's picture

(post #5099, reply #19 of 43)

You could use gel-padded cycling gloves. Come to think of it, old padded cycling gloves might be great for digging & raking chores.

Eric_Brown's picture

(post #5099, reply #20 of 43)

Complicated?!? I'll tell you what's complicated - trying to figure out where the heck you put down the danged gloves - that's what's complicated!

i (mumble, mumble, mumble...)

;-)

4CJ's picture

(post #5099, reply #21 of 43)

I may try the foam insulation first. I don't always wear gloves (tut tut!)...that's why I have blisters!, if I do wear gloves, there is no problem with the wood splints!...just lazy sometimes! Just haven't had time to get the insulation yet!

(post #5099, reply #22 of 43)

Of course it would be best to chamfer the ends of the pipe insulation, then wrap the entire length of the insulation with a cloth tape (Like Hockey tape) to add grip to the insulation. I'm thinking insulation for padding, tape for grip.

Lets see how much more we can complicate a simple fix...

Eric_Brown's picture

(post #5099, reply #23 of 43)

You lost me on the chamfering. Is that for aesthetics?

i

It just occurred to me - and a fix I'm sure Karen would approve - why not just glue the gloves to the wooden wheelbarrow handles?

Karen_W.'s picture

(post #5099, reply #24 of 43)

I almost suggested that when you complained about not being able to find your gloves, but I was afraid that you might just end up losing the wheelbarrow.

Jean_'s picture

(post #5099, reply #25 of 43)

Hire the neighbor's kid to wheel it.

Astrid_Churchill's picture

(post #5099, reply #26 of 43)

I was thinking of trying some melted paraffin with mineral oil added painted over the handles. It would fill in the splintery cracks, seal the wood a and make a nice smooth surface, as well as oiling your hands when you used the barrow.

GretchenB_'s picture

(post #5099, reply #27 of 43)

Has anyone mentioned sanding the handles?

Jeana_'s picture

(post #5099, reply #28 of 43)

Sanding is so hard on the hands.

(post #5099, reply #29 of 43)

No Eric, Its to blend the transition between bare wood and Pipe insulation so the tape doesn't have such a step up to make. of course a nice radius on the other end of the handle would be more aesthetically pleasing.

Eric_Brown's picture

(post #5099, reply #30 of 43)

i Sanding is so hard on the hands.

Hmmm....let's see....you could bandsaw a block to match the profile of the wheelbarrow handle....'course you'd want to pad it to avoid blisters....probably a piece of foam rubber glued to the three outer sides should do the trick...then you could mount clips on both sides to hold the sandpaper and facilitate quick change of the spent sheet...have I forgotten anything?

I meant besides my sense of priority. ;-)