Feb 2013 - Designing with Hostas

gardengal4's picture

I loved the article and the pictures, but there were very few hosta cultivar names listed.   As an avid hosta collector myself, I find the most challenging part of designing with hostas is estimating the mature size and proper placement.   If the tag says it is large, I may place it in the rear only to be disappointed when it is not so large and becomes overshadowed by the allegedly smaller ones I put in front.  To see great photos like the ones in your article would be extra helpful with the cultivar names to see how the mature ones fill out -- plus I love to try to guess the cultivar names!!  

SteveA's picture

You can find the IDs online (post #19746, reply #1 of 4)

If you follow this link: http://www.finegardening.com/pages/Aitken1.asp you will find we have identified as many of the plants as possible. If we left something out, let us know. We will contact the garden owner to get you the information.

If there were room in the magazine, we would have put them in there. Thank goodnes for the web!

--Steve Aitken, Editor, Fine Gardening

gardengal4's picture

Thanks Steve! (post #19746, reply #2 of 4)

Awesome!!  Now let's work on that as an Android App 

Btw, I did pretty good on guessing the names before I read the tags.  I wouldn't be surprised if the tags for Great Expectations and Stained Glass might be reversed.  It's hard to say because the photo of Stained Glass is not very clear.  But the one in the front looks like G.E. to me.

ABowen's picture

February 2013 inside back cover (post #19746, reply #3 of 4)

There is a gorgeous photo on the inside back cover that shows four plants. However,only three are identified. What is the plant in the upper left hand corner?

SteveA's picture

Euphorbia flowers (post #19746, reply #4 of 4)

Those are the flowers of the 'Tasmanian Tiger' euphorbia.

--Steve Aitken, Editor, Fine Gardening